Blog

« TechnoBilly | Main | More Trellis Wire - War Breaks Out! »

June 19, 2005

Tidying Up The Rows

Today was pretty simple - just had to spray herbicide in the rows to kill all the grass and weeds that are starting to crowd the vines (you can see some of this in yesterday's pictures). To be honest though, this is really nerve-wracking - one slip and you could spray a vine and that's all she wrote. True, if a vine gets sprayed you're supposed to stop and pull off all the leaves that got sprayed and it should be OK. But doing it for the first time I was still really nervous that maybe some herbicide would get in the tubes. Oh well, only one way to find out!

So being very careful, I opted to just spray at the inside of the row i.e. between the tractor tire and the base of the tube. So doing it this way took twice as long since I had to make two passes to cover each side of a row, but I figured there was less chance of accidentally spraying a vine by trying to cover too wide of an area. Considering all the time and effort that has gone into this venture up to this point, I don't think I would have been able to forgive myself if I went ahead and killed all the vines at this point. Anyway, five hours later the whole thing was done, and I didn't hit a single one (I'm pretty sure anyway, we'll see next weekend...)

So by next weekend the grass/weeds should be starting to yellow, and that's good because that means a lot less plants competing for the limited water supply this time of year.

Posted by Stephen at June 19, 2005 8:46 PM